Sending less waste to landfill sites
X5 aims to ensure that as much of the used materials as possible becomes a material for recycling, and as little as possible - garbage sent to a landfill. As an active supporter of sustainable resource use, X5 is committed to waste minimisation. This is achieved, among other things, through more accurate inventory planning, which includes big data-driven demand modelling along with more frequent product deliveries, better adaptation of the product mix to customer needs and smaller MOQs negotiated from suppliers as well as meeting all temperature requirements during transportation.
- X5 recycles almost 100% of the plastic, cardboard, paper and other non-food waste generated by our stores. In 2018, we sent more than 572 million kg of waste for processing, including 307 million kg of cardboard, polyethylene and plastic, as well as over 22 million pallets and plastic boxes used for transporting goods. Used shopping trolleys and waste vegetable oil are also sent for recycling.
- Special containers for separate collection of used paper are available at retail chains' headquarters.
- Pyaterochka stores in new concept use shopping baskets made of recycled plastic.
- The Company is committed to lean manufacturing, which enables it to minimise waste associated with the delivery of products from producers and DC-to-store transportation.
- All reusable Perekrestok containers, pallets and plastic boxes are returned to DCs.
Retail packagingX5 is working on various scenarios for reducing the amount of consumer packaging, which involve both the development of the 'products without packaging' category and the use of reusable and /or recycled packaging.
- X5 does not give out free plastic bags at checkout counters in its stores, which brings down the consumption of disposable packaging. In 2018, single-use plastic bags were bought only for every fourth purchase.
- Reusable bags are offered to customers as an alternative to disposable bags. Last year, Pyaterochka, Perekrestok and Karusel sold around 3 million reusable bags.
- In some regional stores, X5 offers paper bags as an alternative to plastic ones.
- In order to minimise plastic waste, the online supermarket Perekrestok.ru piloted the collection of plastic delivery bags for recycling. Customers will be able to return plastic bags used during delivery to the courier. The pilot service is available in all regions covered by Perekrestok.ru.